Checkout some cools facts about the Australian agriculture industry. We are providing a creative format through our TikTok account @farmsadviceau. If you have a weird fact we haven’t heard of let us know in the comments below.
- Australian farmers produce nearly 93% of Australia’s daily domestic food supply.
- In 2015–16 around 73 million sheep were shorn by farmers around the country.
- 85,000 farms produce enough food to feed 75 million people.
997. Calculations by ABARES show that a $1 public investment in RD&E leads to $12 in benefits generated by farmers in the long term
996. The product velcro was inspired and invented from Bathurst burr. Take the positives from weeds…
995. Australians consume 25 kg of pork products annually (50% is imported). Largest wholesale fruit, vegetable and flower markets in Australia and one of the largest food distribution centres in the Southern Hemisphere.
994. An estimated 2,500,000 tonnes of fresh fruit and vegetables, valued at $3 billion, are sold through Sydney Produce Market and Sydney Growers Market annually.
993. Approximately $100 million of fresh produce is exported from Sydney Markets annually.
992. 500 semi-trailers and trucks unload at the Sydney markets here each night.
991. Woolworths Group purchasing 7% of Australia’s cattle and sells 35% of Australia’s beef supply.
990. Australia produces approx 25 million tonnes of wheat. That is one tonne per person in Australia.
989. Australia has 24,000 native plants that make about our eco system.
988. We need 20,000 bees per acre of land including fruit crops, canola and all of the rest.